Question: the pill, late period

Susan70 - Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:10 pm

1. Age- 34
2. Sex- Female
3. Past diagnoses- normal
4. Past surgeries- none
5. Family history- n/a
6. Current medications- Levora

I have a been on the pill for years now and manipulate it (with my doctor's approval) so I only have a period every other month or so. My last period was early September. I stopped taking my pill on Sunday, Dec. 2 and have not had a period yet (it is Monday, Dec. 10). I had some dark brown light spotting for a couple days that that's it. This has never happened before. I am sexually active but use condoms religiously and I take my pill between 5:45 and 6:30 every morning without fail! I have no symptoms beyond minor cramps from time to time. I have not had a chance to take a HPT. What do you think is wrong with me? Should I just continue taking my pill as normal?
Thanks in advance for your time.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:03 pm

User avatar You have nothing to lose by continuing your pill as scheduled. It won't hurt, even if by chance you are pregnant. Of course once you get a positive pregnancy test you would discontinue that but I doubt this is the case considering the fact you are using two reliable forms of birth control.

There is no need for your body to have a period and manipulating this way is not a problem. Most women want to have a period to reassure themselves they are not pregnant but for health reasons, you really don't "need" one while on hormonal birth control. There are some on the market now that allow for only once every three months and one that you take without getting a period for a year.

I would not be concerned about this in the absence of other symptoms that might indicate the unlikely event of pregnancy. Most likely by your next planned cycle it will be more typical.

Best wishes

|