Question: Concern about vaginal ultrasound

dacubster - Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:58 am

Hi there,

I am a 24 year old female with a history of severe asthma, bronchitis, allergies, hyperthyroidism, IST and depression.

I recently made my first visit to the gynecologist for a routine visit. The pelvic exam was excrutiating and even while being relaxed I felt like the speculum was ripping me. I told the doctor that it was felt like an intense burning pain, but she said that it was normal. She unable to get do a very thorough exam because of this.

As a child a pediatrician found that I had an enlarged uterus and the gyne. wanted to follow up with this and perform a vaginal ultrasound. She explained what would happen with this procedure and said I would have to come back for a repeat pelvic since the first one was not thorough enough.

Now I am absolutely terrified. I felt that I was as relaxed as possible during the original pelvic exam but the pain of it was excrutiating, even with the smallest instruments used. I felt that the gyno. did not realize how painful this was to me and I am so worried about going through another one of these in addition to the ultrasound.

I have never been sexually active so I was prepared that it was going to be uncomfortable but I was not expecting severe pain. I am so afraid that I am not sure I can even go through with the procedure at all again.

Can you give me some advice on what to do? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:32 pm

User avatar If you are afraid that your doctor will hurt you there is not a good chance you will be able to relax to make it less painful. You might want to consider seeing a different doctor you could trust better. Ask friends for recommendations if possible. They might have encountered someone especially skilled at putting their patients at ease. Aside from this I could recommend learning some relaxation exercises - kind of a self-hyponsis similar to what women learn when they want to give birth naturally without medication. You could even talk to someone skilled at teaching this type of relaxation.

Then, when you do go to the doctor, explain that you are extremely anxious. Hopefully they will do what they can to make it easier for you.

We all fear pain and it can be hard to endure painful procedures done in the name of health, but it is so important. Try to realize it is a termporary pain and a sacrifice you are making for a better future.

|