Question: Starting the pill

blondie83 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:22 pm

I was recently prescribed ortho -cyclen 28. I know it says on the package that most people start taking it the first day of their period but would it really matter? I don't get my period for another 2 weeks and I'd like to get started on it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:53 pm

User avatar If you know you are not pregnant, you can start taking the pill immediately. The reason you typically are instructed to start during a period is because then you know you are not already pregnant.

Best Wishes.
 blondie83 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Thank you. I appriciate your advice. I got them at the local free health clinic and they rush you in and out so fast I forgot to ask certain questions about taking them.
For how long after starting the pill would you recomend using a different type of birth control ( condoms , sponge or whatever) until the the pills kick in?
Is it usually about a month or so?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:07 pm

User avatar It is recommended that you use a back up for seven days (one week). Thanks for writing in.

Debbie

|