Question: arm pain tingling

samban67 - Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:07 pm

I am 32 weeks pregnant with twins and absolutely miserable. It started with a tingling sensation in my right arm- like it was falling asleep. It happened mostly at night. My OB gave me a referral to go to a physical therapist and I have an appointment for Thurs. Until then he gave me a strap to put around my forearm (which hasn't done a bit of good!) But suddenly it turned into constant electric shock like pain and it is starting in my left arm. I am on the verge of cutting my arms off. I don't know what else to do. I haven't slept for 3 days straight b/c the pain is too intense. My husband is trying to get me to go to the ER, but I don't know what they can do for me. I broke my toe a few months ago and they said there was no meds they can give for pain. What can I do to relieve this? I don't know how much longer I can stand it!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:26 pm

You should be in touch with your OB to let him/her know what is going on. As far along as you are, rather than the ER, if you cannot get into your regular doctor, you could go to the labor and delivery area, let them know your symptoms and they can contact the doctor covering for yours. There are safe pain medications in pregnancy and your doctor will be more comfortable with this that the ER physicians.

I don't know what the problem with your circulation and nerves might be caused by but you are in a high risk pregnancy so you should be checked.

Best wishes for a safe delivery.
 elsabe - Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Just a suggestion - if the regular docs can't help, I wonder if acupuncture could be an option? Might be a great non-pharma way to get the pain relief you need.

|