Question: Getting pregnet before my wedding...

GCAV - Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:25 am

i've tooken the depo shot for the 1st time on july 23 or 24th im not sure and around that time i started to get seious with my fiancee. I missed my last appointment in October because now since were going to get married on June 24 (our 5th year) he wants me to walk down he alise with my belly showing. we've been trying every day now and i still land on my period how soon can i get pregent in time for the wedding? it something that we both want and its killing me because his family thinks that were having 1 on the way but what if i don't get pregnet in time. Me and my husband are apart right now and i cant hardly see him because of his business so its kinda hard to keep this up. Were going to be together again on my birthday January and can it be by that time i will get pregnet? Im so confusied because i want to become a mother but i think that the depo shot hold me back from becomming one? why havnt i gotten pregnet yet? Is it me or the shot?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:38 pm

There is a certain amount of luck involved in conceiving a child. It is a process where hormones, release of egg, intercourse timing all come together and it (sometimes) works. It does not happen every time you try, even for the most well-planned according to the calendar, and it is considered normal for it to take a year even with regular sexual relations and no birth control.

It is possible you could have some delay in ovulation due to the depo shot but chances are you are ovulating - things just haven't yet worked out that fertilization and implantation has occurred. I would not be concerned yet about any problem - you probably just need to give it time, have patience and if you want to get married, plan accordingly, allowing pregnancy to happen when it will. Sometimes we have less to say about this than we would like to think and it just takes persistence, faith and trust that it will happen eventually - when it does, what a happy surprise that can be! In the past, before birth control pills, most pregnancies occurred this way.

Good luck with your future plans - all of them.
 GCAV - Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:04 pm

Thanks for your advice but just another question how long does the depo shot stay in your system? and how can i be certin that my ovaulation cycle is okay i mean there was 1 thing i left out when i took the depo shot it was the day after i came off my period is that safe? do you think thats why im still not pregnet? i didnt take the shot while i was on my period was that safe for me to do that?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:38 am

User avatar Hormones vary considerably between women and I can't say how long you might be affected. Many women do become pregnant right away so clearly it is not a consistent problem; just a possibility and I a only speculating that is COULD be a factor, though I suspect it is just the normal luck of the draw for when conception may actually occur for you.

You have done nothing wrong in the use of the depo and I suspect you will become pregnant if you have regular intercourse without birth control. You may not know exactly when you ovulate, though many women become very good at recognizing the subtle changes in their vaginal secretions. This whitish discharge tends to get more plentiful near the time of ovulation. This is perhaps the easiest way to know on your own. We predict that most women ovulate somewhere around 14 days after their period begins but again, much variation is the norm.

For most couples, daily or every other day sexual activity will result in pregnancy within a few months.

|