Question: Signs of Pregnancy, but negative results

klh - Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:33 pm

I stopped taking my BCP on 11/19/07. I got my period early at the end of November and it lasted the normal time for me (3-4 days). I have not yet gotten my period. I should have gotten it on 12/24/07. I took a hpt 12/26 and again yesterday and they were negative. My breasts are extremely tender, I have been nauseous for the past two days, I also have discomfort on my right side from my pelvis to my belly button. Is this normal the month after you stop BCP? Also if I don't get my period this month, how do I tell when I am ovulating next? My husband and I are trying to conceive.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:38 pm

It could be that your hormones were not high enough yet to be detected on the home test. Maybe a week later you would get a different result. Going off birth control pills often results in some cycle disruption so you could be experiencing this. Try to relax because stress can also delay your period.

It is not always possible to say when you will ovulate. We give a range only of days 8 though 14 (start counting the first day of period). Most, but not all, women ovulate during that period of time if they have regular cycles of 26 to 32 days. When people try to conceive, they concentrate efforts on those days and luck comes into play here. Do not limit yourself to having sex on those days, but you would want to be sure you are doing it about every other day during the potentially fertile period. It would be considered normal if it takes up to a year to become pregnant.

Good luck in your efforts.

|