News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: lower left side abdominal pain and brown vaginal discharge

classysanta - Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:17 am

I am 21 years old female and have been suffering from lower left side abdominal pain. The pain feels like bloating and pressure on the left side. I also sometime suffer from constipation. Along with these symptoms i have brown vaginal discharge. Not only before periods, but long after them. I have suffered from this for over two years, but I have seen a gynecologist and various other doctors that really havent provided me with an answer. I have even tried to up the fiber in my diet.The abdominal pain and the discharge go hand in hand. When the abdominal pain is aggravated and more active than usual there is discharge. I am not sure about what to do because I feel that i am a relatively healthy person. I am a virgin, i do not smoke, so I just want some clues as to what it may be.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
The abdomen has so many organs involved that is can be very difficult to pinpoint vague symptoms such as you describe. You could also have more than one disorder going on at once; not necessarily related. For instance, you could have bowel problems such as irritable bowel syndrome or diverticulosis, accompanied by hormonal irregularity that results in vaginal discharge, or fibroids or other period-related problem. It does not sound serious but you should continue to stay in contact with your doctor in ruling out anything of concern.

It is also possible it has something to do with glands that affect multiple systems, such as thyroid. I'm glad to hear you have added fiber to your diet. Nothing to lose by doing that and much to gain in improvement on the constipation so continue to do this along with adding lots of water intake.

I'm sorry I can't say exactly what is going on here but I am glad you have been cared for by a gynecologist since physical exams are important in diagnosis. Stay with him/her and update with any new or changing symptoms you experience. Sometimes things have to get worse before they can bad enough to be identifiable.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here