Question: lower left side abdominal pain and brown vaginal discharge

classysanta - Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:17 am

I am 21 years old female and have been suffering from lower left side abdominal pain. The pain feels like bloating and pressure on the left side. I also sometime suffer from constipation. Along with these symptoms i have brown vaginal discharge. Not only before periods, but long after them. I have suffered from this for over two years, but I have seen a gynecologist and various other doctors that really havent provided me with an answer. I have even tried to up the fiber in my diet.The abdominal pain and the discharge go hand in hand. When the abdominal pain is aggravated and more active than usual there is discharge. I am not sure about what to do because I feel that i am a relatively healthy person. I am a virgin, i do not smoke, so I just want some clues as to what it may be.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:28 pm

The abdomen has so many organs involved that is can be very difficult to pinpoint vague symptoms such as you describe. You could also have more than one disorder going on at once; not necessarily related. For instance, you could have bowel problems such as irritable bowel syndrome or diverticulosis, accompanied by hormonal irregularity that results in vaginal discharge, or fibroids or other period-related problem. It does not sound serious but you should continue to stay in contact with your doctor in ruling out anything of concern.

It is also possible it has something to do with glands that affect multiple systems, such as thyroid. I'm glad to hear you have added fiber to your diet. Nothing to lose by doing that and much to gain in improvement on the constipation so continue to do this along with adding lots of water intake.

I'm sorry I can't say exactly what is going on here but I am glad you have been cared for by a gynecologist since physical exams are important in diagnosis. Stay with him/her and update with any new or changing symptoms you experience. Sometimes things have to get worse before they can bad enough to be identifiable.

|