News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: no period for 5 months after c-section

stp9501 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:17 pm

I had a c-section on July 19, 2007 and have yet to have a period. I was told in 2005 that I was pre-menopausal. Could it be that my hormones are still not regulated from the pregnancy or going through menopause? I am 35 years old, but my mother started going through menoapause early at 40. Should I call my doctor or wait to see if I start soon?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:42 pm

User avatar Hi Stp9501,

Either of these two situations may be possible. It is very possibly that you simply still have not returned to your normal cycle following pregnancy. Return of the regular menstrual cycle following pregnancy is very variable. Some women will begin cycling within a month or two. Others will take many months to return to a normal cycle.

Menopause may also do this but I think this is probably less likely given your age. If there is concern, a blood test can help sort the two out. In pregnancy, the normal FSH/LH cycling is suppressed. In menopause, the ovaries begin to fail so the FSH/LH levels begin to rise to try to compensate.

Your gynecologist can help sort this out. It would be reasonable to wait a bit longer as well if you choose.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here