Question: Past Injury +Pregnancy

Catherine Fergerson - Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 pm

I do not know if one has to do with the other, but I am gonna ask.

About a year ago, I fell down stairs, and landed smack dab on my tail bone at first and then kind of glided on my back down the rest. I never went to the er, I had no insurance at all at the time. For days it was the most painful thing ever. Sitting made me cry, trying to get up from sitting made me cry. It felt very much stiff for days. Sleeping was painful. It got a lot better, and throughout the year, if I sat on the floor sometimes I would feel a bit of pain.

Now I am just over 15 weeks pregnant, and my back seems to hurt fairly often. Especially when walking for more than 10 minutes, like in the grocery store. It hurts in the spot that I fell, the whole area aches, and I can feel the bone aching. Can the baby be causing more pressure on that area? Should I alert my OB to this? I have a strong feeling that when I fell I injured the bone itself. I wouldn't be surprised because the kind of pain I was in after falling was horrible. What should I do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:45 am

User avatar Hello Miss Fergerson,

It sounds like you may have either broken your tailbone or severely bruised it during the fall. This may or may not be related to your pain now that you are pregnant. As the baby grows and the uterus expands it begins to press on the structures of the pelvis. This can include the nerves of the pelvis, including the sciatic nerve that will cause pain in the leg. This is quite common during pregnancy.

Most likely, if the tailbone was broken or bruised it will have healed well at this point. It is more likely that the baby is pushing on something that your body would prefer to not have pushed on. At 15 weeks, you're early in the second trimester. During the second trimester the baby begins to grow in size pretty quickly so this is often where the discomfort begins.

|