News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Past Injury +Pregnancy

Catherine Fergerson - Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 pm

I do not know if one has to do with the other, but I am gonna ask.

About a year ago, I fell down stairs, and landed smack dab on my tail bone at first and then kind of glided on my back down the rest. I never went to the er, I had no insurance at all at the time. For days it was the most painful thing ever. Sitting made me cry, trying to get up from sitting made me cry. It felt very much stiff for days. Sleeping was painful. It got a lot better, and throughout the year, if I sat on the floor sometimes I would feel a bit of pain.

Now I am just over 15 weeks pregnant, and my back seems to hurt fairly often. Especially when walking for more than 10 minutes, like in the grocery store. It hurts in the spot that I fell, the whole area aches, and I can feel the bone aching. Can the baby be causing more pressure on that area? Should I alert my OB to this? I have a strong feeling that when I fell I injured the bone itself. I wouldn't be surprised because the kind of pain I was in after falling was horrible. What should I do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:45 am

User avatar Hello Miss Fergerson,

It sounds like you may have either broken your tailbone or severely bruised it during the fall. This may or may not be related to your pain now that you are pregnant. As the baby grows and the uterus expands it begins to press on the structures of the pelvis. This can include the nerves of the pelvis, including the sciatic nerve that will cause pain in the leg. This is quite common during pregnancy.

Most likely, if the tailbone was broken or bruised it will have healed well at this point. It is more likely that the baby is pushing on something that your body would prefer to not have pushed on. At 15 weeks, you're early in the second trimester. During the second trimester the baby begins to grow in size pretty quickly so this is often where the discomfort begins.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here