Question: Long periods

luv_bug - Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:19 pm

In the past couple of months i have been having really long periods. Each one last about 3-4.5 weeks and then i am fine for 2 weeks in between. i went to see my doctor in the end of december, and he had labs done, and when i called to find out what they said, the nurse simply told me that everything was normal. whenever i have my period my back is extremely sore, more than it ever has been in the past. also i am getting very sick, and can't keep my food down. also my blood is clotting a lot. my doctor gave me the same birth control that i was already on, despite everything i told him. is there something else that i can do. i am in college and can't see my regular doctor because he is about 3000 miles away. my only option to visit a doctor is the ER. should i go or is there something else i can do? this is just taking my energy, and is not comfortable.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:26 pm

This is certainly a frustrating problem. You did not indicate how long you were on the birth control pills before or if you were on them during the time you were having the long periods. Usually the pill helps you to have shorter and lighter periods so give it a chance to work. Some women also benefit from the placement of an IUD. In any event, resolution of the problem can take a few months. I would not think an ER visit is necessary but if you can get into a clinic, family practice doctor or gynecologist in the next few months it would be good, assuming things don't get better on the pill. Excessive bleeding can lead to anemia so you want to watch labs for that.

aliceinwonderland - Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:40 am

I am having a similar problem
I started on contracpetion pills (Yasmin), on the first day of getting my period. That was now 11 days ago and i have a very light discharge of blood( a very light period), i had my normal period for the normal 4-5 days and ever since I have a light blood. Is this something to do with getting used to the birth control pills?
Thanks, Alice
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:15 pm

User avatar Yes, it is very likely this is the reason. Sometimes breakthrough bleeding lasts three or four months. I would give it a little time. But, call your doctor who prescribed if it gets very heavy and lasts a long time.

|