News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Nonstop bleeding for 15 days

kgrimes5 - Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:59 am

I started my period on 2/14 and havent stopped yet. It went through a normal cycle but the last couple of days have been very heavy again. Cramps from mild to intense but not severe. Ive always had normal, regular periods lasting 5 -7 days. Im 32, healthy, no medications or birth control. Last month my period was normal but then about 5 days later i bled for about 4 days. Now Ive started this month about week late but havent stopped bleeding. Should i wait it out or see a doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:18 am

User avatar Hello,
Chances are these are normal hormonal fluctuations. I would not rush to the doctor unless you get other symptoms, it gets worse or you just can't handle it any more. You could be experiencing even an early perimenopause, which can last for several years and may manifest with irregular periods. If it does continue, your doctor may be able to prescribe hormonal treatment to help.

Best wishes.
 need an answer - Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:30 am

Well I have a semi-similar problem except I am only 18 years old and is about to be 19.I HAVE NO KIDS. ok so I will have my period or what i think is my period and it'll last a loooong time. I don't get cramps anymore just an achy back and sore breasts at times. I get frequent headaches which I need pain releivers for just to sleep. My "area" smells nasty even if i showered and when I am bleeding. I get chunky blood clots that come out at least 6 times a month and I just want to know if there might be something wrong with me?

Thank you,
NEEDS AN ANSWER!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:10 pm

User avatar Hello,
It can take quite a while for periods to become regular, if they ever actually do. Hormones are in fluctuation. But the odor makes me feel you should get it checked out in case you have a bacterial infection. This would need treatment. When you see your doctor and explain your history, it is possible he/she may prescribe hormones to help regulate your periods.

Best wishes.
 x3donna - Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:41 pm

hi my name is Donna, i am 19 years old and i sorta have been having similar problems. recently, meaning the past few months, i have been experiencing constant vaginal bleeding including, but only occasionally, large blood clots that can fill the palm of my hand. I have had 2 of 3 Gardasil shots and i am going in for my 3rd one tomorrow. i am sexually active, but i have been in a relationship for three years with the same person and neither one has had any other sex partners. i am also a bit overweight. Can any of these be the cause if this bleeding? and if not, what can be? Please help! I can't take it anymore! thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:01 am

User avatar Hello,
Being overweight could contribute to menstrual disorders and sometimes it is necessary to have a short term hormonal treatment to stop an extended period. Talk to your doctor to see if this is needed. You may also want to investigate the possibility of a hormonal disorder - perhaps PCOS. If you have too much bleeding over several months you run the risk of anemia so it should be treated. Since it is bothering you and interfering with your life, finding out the cause is probably a good idea.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here