Question: Weight loss at 34 weeks

Sisterispreggers - Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:23 am

My sister is 34 weeks and just weighed herself today and was at 175 pounds, she was at 178 about 4 days ago, is this normal? She also has been having abdominal pain (feels like her muscles are ripping she says). Help would be nice. Thnks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:21 pm

I assume you mean she is 34 weeks' pregnant.

Overall weight gain can vary considerably and if the woman is overweight going into the pregnancy it is not necessary for her to gain as much as a lean woman, while still giving birth to a healthy baby. Your sister's weight at this point doesn't indicate to me if she is of normal weight or not.

It is typical to gain weight during the third trimester as this is when the baby is growing in weight. The beginning stages are cell division and organ development but at this point, adding fat, muscle, contributing to overall well-being like brain development is important so weight loss should be investigated. It could also be related to the amount of amniotic fluid. I would recommend she talk to her doctor about this in case they need to do ultrasounds or non-stress testing to be sure the baby is not compromised. It is important for her to monitor fetal movement. She should haver regular movement at this point, feeling about 10 kicks per two hour period. If it is significantly less than usual or if she notices "frantic" movement, these can be warning signs of trouble.

She should also be sure she gets plenty of water to drink. Dehydration is not good in pregnancy particularly. Abdominal pain should always be investigated especially if there is blood or high blood pressure as well.

Best wishes and good luck to your sister.

|