News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Weight loss at 34 weeks

Sisterispreggers - Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:23 am

My sister is 34 weeks and just weighed herself today and was at 175 pounds, she was at 178 about 4 days ago, is this normal? She also has been having abdominal pain (feels like her muscles are ripping she says). Help would be nice. Thnks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
I assume you mean she is 34 weeks' pregnant.

Overall weight gain can vary considerably and if the woman is overweight going into the pregnancy it is not necessary for her to gain as much as a lean woman, while still giving birth to a healthy baby. Your sister's weight at this point doesn't indicate to me if she is of normal weight or not.

It is typical to gain weight during the third trimester as this is when the baby is growing in weight. The beginning stages are cell division and organ development but at this point, adding fat, muscle, contributing to overall well-being like brain development is important so weight loss should be investigated. It could also be related to the amount of amniotic fluid. I would recommend she talk to her doctor about this in case they need to do ultrasounds or non-stress testing to be sure the baby is not compromised. It is important for her to monitor fetal movement. She should haver regular movement at this point, feeling about 10 kicks per two hour period. If it is significantly less than usual or if she notices "frantic" movement, these can be warning signs of trouble.

She should also be sure she gets plenty of water to drink. Dehydration is not good in pregnancy particularly. Abdominal pain should always be investigated especially if there is blood or high blood pressure as well.

Best wishes and good luck to your sister.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here