Question: problems with rh- pregnancy

wcmix - Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:23 pm

I am rh- and I have a rh- 2 year old girl. ( My husband is rh+). Everything went great with my first pregnany, there was no intermingling of blood and she is rh-. I am now pregnant with twin boys. Say the boys are rh+ , If I start to make antibodies, Will they be o.k. or can they be in real danger of getting seriously ill or dying?
 Alexandra C, RN - Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Since your daughter is Rh-negative, there is no chance you were sensitized during that pregnancy and therefore would not have developed any antibodies. Sensitization could occur during a miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, some obstetric procedures (like amniocentesis) and a few other scenarios, so without knowing your history it is not possible to know if there is any possibility that you've ever been sensitized, but if you have had any of the above, you should have received an injection of Rh immune globulin, which will prevent your body from making the antibodies. A blood test for type and antibodies is routinely done at your first prenatal visit, so your doctor would know if you've been sensitized. You should have another test for type and antibodies and receive an injection of the Rh immune globulin at 28 weeks with this pregnancy, to prevent sensitization, and after your delivery both your blood and your babies' blood will be tested to determine if you need another injection of Rh immune globulin. (If either baby is Rh-positive, you will.) To summarize, if you are not sensitized and thus have no antibodies to Rh-positive blood cells, your babies are not at any risk of harm related to Rh incompatibility. Good luck with your pregnancy!

|