News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Red itchy bumps during period?

srg717 - Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm 16. I got my period a few days ago, and right when i got it, I started getting small, pimple sized, red bumps around my labia that itch when I touched them. There is NO pus or liquid or anything inside the bumps. They're like little bug bites. Occasionally when I urinate, it feels like I have to keep going, but I don't. I've only had protect intercourse, but unprotect oral sex. Could it be an std? Is it linked with my period?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:34 pm

User avatar Hello,
I don't believe this is connected with your period and given your sexual history I doubt it is genital Herpes. There are several possible viral or bacterial possibilities as well as yeast infection, folliculitis (infected hair follicles), or clogged sweat glands. Because there are so many possible causes, you would need to see a doctor for a correct diagnosis. But you should know that one in 2 to 1 in 4 teens acquire a sexually transmitted infection so I would urge you to use condoms every time if you continue to be sexually active to help reduce your risk. This time might not be a STI but next time might and these can have long-term consequences.

Best wishes.
 srg717 - Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Thank you for your advice! I got in checked out, and it turned out to be a fungal problem. I used cream for a week and it all went away. :]
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:49 pm

User avatar You're welcome. Glad you got the problem solved.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here