News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Do I need to have a prenatal checkup yet

sadiekp3 - Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:51 pm

I just got 2 positive results on home pregnancy tests, which would make me 5 weeks pregnant, if they are correct. I live in Hilo, HI, and do not have a doctor (there is a major shortage here). My husband and I will be moving to Washington in the middle of May. I was wondering if I can wait until we move to start getting prenatal care, or whether I should see one here, then switch in two months. I am healthy and active, and am fairly well informed about pregnancy (As I did a doula training, and have a sister who is considering becoming a midwife). Thank you for your advise.
 Alexandra C, RN - Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:59 pm

I would definitely suggest that you find a provider in you area and schedule an appointment in the very near future. Generally you should be seen for your first prenatal visit at about 6-8 weeks, and every 4 weeks after that throughout your first trimester. During your first appointment your provider will determine you due date, obtain a thorough medical and family history, perform a thorough physical and pelvic exam, and obtain blood and urine for a number of laboratory tests. Some providers also use early ultrasound to confirm a viable, intrauterine pregnancy and to help determine an accurate EDD (due date). The provider will also make recommendations to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy and answer your questions. The first trimester is a crucial period for your baby's development, and it is really important to take a prenatal multivitamin with 600-1000mcg of folic acid daily.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:58 am

User avatar Hello,
I would add that many OBs will not see their patients before 10-13 weeks unless they have problems arise before then. We consider 13 weeks to be the latest recommended onset of prenatal care. Some will have you come earlier or have a nurse visit to be sure you are on vitamins, sometimes draw blood, etc. Some will see you earlier and of course this would be great, but as I said, some feel there is so little to be done then it is better to wait until a heart beat can be detected. This is highly individualized with each provider, but you definitely should be on a vitamin in the meantime.

Good luck.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:15 pm

User avatar Hello,

I agree with the wonderful answers by Alexandra and Debbie. As Alexandra said, I also don't think this is a decision that should be taken on this message board. As mentioned in the previous post, prenatal care is highly individualized both by provider preference and according to the patient's health condition. Some patient's need closer follow up because they may have a high risk pregnancy.

I strongly encourage you to seek direct medical attention or to try to get in touch with a qualified health provider who is in a position to make this decision for you.

All the best!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here