Question: Do I need to have a prenatal checkup yet

sadiekp3 - Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:51 pm

I just got 2 positive results on home pregnancy tests, which would make me 5 weeks pregnant, if they are correct. I live in Hilo, HI, and do not have a doctor (there is a major shortage here). My husband and I will be moving to Washington in the middle of May. I was wondering if I can wait until we move to start getting prenatal care, or whether I should see one here, then switch in two months. I am healthy and active, and am fairly well informed about pregnancy (As I did a doula training, and have a sister who is considering becoming a midwife). Thank you for your advise.
 Alexandra C, RN - Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:59 pm

I would definitely suggest that you find a provider in you area and schedule an appointment in the very near future. Generally you should be seen for your first prenatal visit at about 6-8 weeks, and every 4 weeks after that throughout your first trimester. During your first appointment your provider will determine you due date, obtain a thorough medical and family history, perform a thorough physical and pelvic exam, and obtain blood and urine for a number of laboratory tests. Some providers also use early ultrasound to confirm a viable, intrauterine pregnancy and to help determine an accurate EDD (due date). The provider will also make recommendations to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy and answer your questions. The first trimester is a crucial period for your baby's development, and it is really important to take a prenatal multivitamin with 600-1000mcg of folic acid daily.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:58 am

I would add that many OBs will not see their patients before 10-13 weeks unless they have problems arise before then. We consider 13 weeks to be the latest recommended onset of prenatal care. Some will have you come earlier or have a nurse visit to be sure you are on vitamins, sometimes draw blood, etc. Some will see you earlier and of course this would be great, but as I said, some feel there is so little to be done then it is better to wait until a heart beat can be detected. This is highly individualized with each provider, but you definitely should be on a vitamin in the meantime.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:15 pm

I agree with the wonderful answers by Alexandra and Debbie. As Alexandra said, I also don't think this is a decision that should be taken on this message board. As mentioned in the previous post, prenatal care is highly individualized both by provider preference and according to the patient's health condition. Some patient's need closer follow up because they may have a high risk pregnancy.

I strongly encourage you to seek direct medical attention or to try to get in touch with a qualified health provider who is in a position to make this decision for you.

All the best!

|