Question: Irregular Period, a week later...Dark Red/Brown spotting?

AKingma - Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:26 pm

My period ended a week ago, It was irregular by all means, the first 2 days i had a very heavy flow, it would fill a super plus tampon in 2 - 4 hours, typically it takes about 8+ hours to fill it. the next 3 days were hardly there, when it was it was really light. I now have a Dark red/brown dry blood spotting thing going on. what could all of this nonsense be?
 Alexandra C, RN - Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:11 am

The appearance and amount of menstrual flow can vary a great deal. The dark red/brown color you describe indicates that the blood is simply older and is not abnormal. Spotting between periods is common and could be caused by ovulation, hormonal contraceptives, stress, and fluctuation in hormone levels. You do not indicate if your menstrual cycles are normally regular or if you are using a contraceptive, so I can't speculate as to what may have caused the change you describe, but nothing you describe is alarming.

|