Question: Foul smelling brown blood after IUD insertion

Andrea0711 - Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:04 pm

I had an medical pregnancy termination 3 weeks ago and was advised by family planning after receiving a negative chlamydia test to have an IUD inserted, which I did yesterday.

I have had a little cramping which I believe is to be expected, but what concerns me is that all day today the blood I'm passing is a darkish brown and has quite a pungent odour. Does this mean I have gotten an infection from the IUD?

Is it safe for me to douche as it's quite embarrassing?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:21 am

There is always the possibility of infection; not just from the IUD but even following the termination. It is one of the possible adverse effects. You should let the clinic doctor know in case you need treatment. I do not recommend douching, especially this soon after these procedures. Use just external cleansing methods to reduce the odor in the meantime.

|