News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: When dpes menstration becomes normal after stopping the pill

amytue7day - Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:58 pm

I am a 24 year old who came off the pill in August 2007, it is now March 2008 and I have regular spotting. Prior to the pill I had extremely heavy periods that occured at irregular intervals. An example of my cycle would be menstration... 14 days... menstration...14 days... menstration... 3 months ... menstration ... 14 days menstration ... 6 months... menstration ... 2 months ... menstration ... etc. It appeared to be quite random. During the time I was on the pill I gained weight, lost my libido, and my period got substantially lighter during the three years I was on the pill. After I came off the pill in August I started my first job and moved to a new town, I have also lost a up to 30 pounds (from 5'10" 160lbs to 5'10" 130 pounds). I have been noticing that recently my urine is darker then normal. Also, when I do have what I believe is my period the blood looks very old and brown. There also is not much of a menstrual flow very little comes out unless I am urinating or have a bowel movement then more flow comes out at that time. I am starting to get concerned about my cycle and have been reading up on possibilities. Before I book a doctors appointment I was wondering if the lengthy return to my "normal" period is because of stress and diet or if it could be something serious. I also have not had sex since before I came off the pill in August. Any ideas about what it may be would be helpful. Also, if you believe I should see a doctor in person would you be able to provide some quesitons/information that I should have prepared to take with me for my appointment to help pinpoint a solution.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:30 am

User avatar Hello,
First let me say that nothing you describe is alarming. Normal is different for every woman and it is not necessarily regular and predictable to still be fine. Some women have very light periods and you cannot determine that normal for you is what it was prior to the hormonal contraception. But, it can take several months for the effects of the pill to be eliminated. You may not be ovulating every month and that is only alarming if you have other symptoms suggestive of PCOS that might need treatment or you are trying to conceive. But, your overall health is not in danger because your periods are light and sporadic. Inconvenient perhaps, but not illness.

Congratulations on your weight loss. This may be a contributor if your body mass is too low but I doubt this. Stress is another possible connection. At any rate, getting an exam with your gynecologist is a good idea to get a picture of your hormones and general health. I doubt you need to ask for anything that would not be routine unless it is a hormonal evaluation. Once you describe your concerns to your doctor, he/she will have a good idea what tests are indicated.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here