Question: 2 weeks from cyst removal and with an important question.

Patricia79 - Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Hello.
Im female 29 years old and was diagnosed having a dermoid ovarian cyst several months ago.
The cyst is 8x10cm and fluid/solid and it was determined that it would be best to not have it removed with laprascopy(not sure how that spells)and instead "open me up"because of its size.This is going to take place in about 2 weeks.

I have been very concerned about sleeping through the surgery because
1.I have recently been diagnosed with a heart murmur,although doctors say its not dangerous.
2.I have infections in several of my teeth,some which come back quickly after being medicated..
and
3 .even it it may sound a bit paranoid,Ive also had sleep paralysis since childhood.
Unfortunately Im am not receiving any response when asking about these things and am still very scared.

My question would be,Do you believe it is safe for me to sleep through a surgery at this moment,with those issues above,or would it be safer for me to have this cyst removed by having an epidural?

Im not sure that is even possible but heard some people get surgery like that and I would be so happy if atleast one person could answer this.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:04 pm

I think your doctors who know your history and have examined you are the best judges of your condition for surgery and they would not recommend it if they believed you were in danger. Of course there are always risks with surgery and anesthesia, though these are not common in such cases as yours.

The thing to remember is that in the care of a capable and experienced anesthesiologist, your vital signs will be continuously monitored. Your airway will be supported and kept open and you will have immediate treatment should there be any sign of problem. You will have an IV for any needed medications for a fast response. After surgery your vital signs will be monitored while you recover, until you are awake. The team will have your history in mind so be open about your past medical situations. Knowing this will allow them to plan your care.

I don't know if this answers your question or not but don't be afraid to talk with both your surgeon and your anesthesiologist. You should be able to contact them in advance to discuss your questions. Even if they have not suggested any concerns, tell them yours.

Good luck with this procedure.

|