Question: Delayed period after switching birth control

cormich - Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:42 pm

I recently switched from the NuvaRing to Yaz. I am at the end of the 4th pack of Yaz, and my period has been irregular since I started taking it. The first month my period was longer than usual. The second month, I took a pill several hours late in the 3rd week and my period started early and lasted for 2 weeks straight. The third month, I had spotting and my period started as normal. This month, I had spotting in the 2nd or 3rd week. I started taking the placebos on Wednesday and my period hasn't come yet. Usually it starts on Wednesday or Thursday, so I am 3 or 4 days late. I have gotten into a routine and have been taking the pills every morning within 1 to 2 hours of the same time. I've had irregular periods before, but they have never been late since I have been on birth control continuously for 4 years. I'm afraid I might be pregnant. I have read that implantation bleeding can be misinterpreted for spotting.

Should I be concerned, or am I overreacting? Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:41 pm

All of these fluctuations do fall in the normal response to birth control pills since each woman reacts differently. However, since pregnancy does occur with oral contraceptive use (although rarely when taken as directed like you have been), it never hurts to test for pregnancy when a period is missed. Wait about a week and even repeat a week later if negative.

The pills will not hurt the baby if you are pregnant, but you would want to discontinue them should you become pregnant. For this reason it is good to find out as soon as you can.

|