News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Severe Pain Above The Pubic Bone

Angel240 - Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:50 am

Hello,

3 days ago I woke up with severe pain in my lower abdomen just above the pelvic bone. The pain was that intense I couldn't move and had to lie down I felt faint , sick and started burning up. I went back to bed after taking some pain relief and it was much easier when I woke up and just twinged throughout the rest of the day. Again yesterday exactly the same but not to the same degree but the pain was still bad and then eased throughout the day. Again this morning the pain was so intense again I felt sick, faint and couldn't move but eased off after 40 minutes and just a bit of pain now.

My periods have been very irregular for the last couple of years and I was checked out as they thought I had poly cystic ovaries but turned out I was clear of that and so I was discharged. My periods continue to be very irregular and when I do have one it is very very heavy and painful but not as painful as these pains I am getting now. The pains now are very sharp and feels like someone is stabbing me. I initially thought when I first had this pain I was going to start my period but I haven't but because it has been going on for 3 days now I am starting to get a bit worried. To add on I am not sexually active at the moment either. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Angel240.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm

User avatar Hello,
Of course severe and prolonged pain should be checked out. Since the abdomen has multiple organs in it there are many possible causes. Appendix would be one area of concern since you don't want it to rupture (more often on the right).

Ovarian cysts are always a possibility, even if you did not have any signs at your last exam. These come and go in women. Endometriosis is also a common cause of abdominal pain, often cyclic and worse just before the period starts. Pelvic inflammatory disease also presents with pain like this.

Urinary tract infections or kidney stones can also mimic gynecological disorders so if you have any symptoms of urgency, frequency, pain after voiding, cloudy urine, etc. you should have a urinalysis.

The bowel can also be a problem in here. A blockage in the colon can cause severe distress and needs to be evaluated (waves of crampy pain are described). Diverticulitis (more often on the left) and colonitis can cause abdominal pain. Gas itself is very painful. Walking and simethicone can often relieve this. I am assuming you are not constipated.

What makes it difficult to diagnose is that different disorders can mimic each other. While waiting for your doctor, keep a diary of your symptoms with description of the pain, duration, whether or not anything relieves it, how often (does it come and go or is it constant?), when it first began, the severity, etc. this will help your doctor to know where to begin.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with a specific diagnosis but this is complicated.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here