Question: 5 weeks along, severe cramps and sharp pain for 2 weeks+

Brit_Bying - Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:24 pm

I was late, took hpt, it was + went to Primary Doc blood and urine test +. Said cramping and spotting was normal this early. Cramping is very painful, up to a 7 on a pain scale, told to take tylenol, didn't work, Advil, didn't work. Motrin. Didn't work. I have a great tollerance for pain so for me to be in pain is a big deal. Couple nights ago sharp stabbing pain woke me up, screaming, scared the hell out of my boyfriend, pain from what i remember on my right side mostly, the next day had painful stabbing pain on the left side. When the doctor presses on my stomach i get a nauseating pain for about 20 minutes, upto an 8 on a pain scale. On ultrasound 2 black splotches no one discussed with me that i asked about but said were 'to early to be sure' Radiologist said posible Tubal. Pain is too much, asked to have it terminated but my doctors office won't reffer out for termination.

I mostly want to know whats going on, I've asked everyone in my family that has been pregnant and they all say it's not normal, even my aunt who is a nurse, My doctor still says it is, the only thing that takes away the pain is the half of vicadin i have left over from my mononucleosis I never used. I know it's not good for it but i don't think it's a healthy pregnancy. Does it sound normal to anybody else?

Help!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Of course you do need to rule out tubal (ectopic) pregnancy and I assume that is what your doctor is doing, knowing that pain can be a symptom. You did not indicate how far along you are. Ectopic pregnancies are usually noticed around six or seven weeks.

You also did not indicate how long the pain lasts. If it is a brief and passing thing, even though it is sharp, it may be round ligament pain. These ligaments stretch as your uterus grows and often cause sharp, stabbing pain in the lower pelvis, especially when changing positions.

Don't worry about taking the narcotic. It is safe in pregnancy when taken occasionally for acute pain such as this but you should discuss it with your doctor to get his OK. Tylenol is always considered safe in pregnancy unless you have liver problems. Motrin and ibuprofen are the same thing and it is best to avoid these. They do not cause birth defects but can affect your blood clotting so it is not recommended.

Of course there is also the possibility that you have something else going on that is unrelated to the pregnancy such as appendicitis, bowel or kidney problems. Since they did labwork and ultrasound, I believe they are monitoring you for anything serious. If you have some type of infection, this will likely show up. Hopefully the pain will pass soon on its own even if they never discover the cause. Keep your doctor posted about any unusual additional symptoms such as bleeding, fever, etc. and whether or not it improves or worsens in the coming days.

|