Question: Endometriosis---painful

cbarrett - Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:28 pm

I am 43 yr old female,non smoker,non drinker,work out 6 days per week.I have been diagnosed with endo with organ involvement (intestines,rectum,etc) many yrs. ago.Found during infertility work up.My physicians have always strongly suggested hysterectomy.They have tried to laser it off,but it always returns.I have not tried the shots or other meds. due to fear of side effects.My last surgery was a year ago,dr. ruptured small 2cm cyst and told me "I was covered in endo.,lasering was not an option at this point".My pain has now gotten to be daily.I refuse to let it disable me though,I continue to go to the gym and do my regular routine,etc. My questions to anyone here,does endo cause cancer such as ovarian cancer? Lately,I am obsessed with this thougt.And is their a new procedure for hysterectmy that is not so invasive and would require minimal down time? Do you have to take hormones after surgery? I thought they were related to breast cancer and heart disease.Also,during menstrual cycle bowel movements feel like excruciating child birth pains,is this related to endo? Thank you so much for helping me.
 Dr. Russell M - Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:16 pm

User avatar Hi!

Ovarian cancers occur in about 2-3 percent of women over the course of their lifetimes. The most common type of ovarian cancer is epithelial adenocarcinoma. About 1-2 percent of all ovarian cancers are a type called endometrioid clear-cell adenocarcinomas; these are seen more frequently in women with endometriosis. So, although having endometriosis increases your risk of endometrioid cancer, this very rare type makes up such a small number of cases of cancer that your overall risk of ovarian cancer is really not increased. No special testing or screening is indicated.

The requirement of hormones after hysterectomy largely depends on the patient's condition after the surgery. Not all patients need hormones, and not all opt for them despite any symptoms. You are right in that hormones can cause breast cancer, heart disease, and stroke. Since your doctors have concluded that your abdomen is "covered" with endo, the pain on bowel movements that you have during menstruation could very well be due to endometriosis.

Hope this helps.

bill

|