Question: Problem with Mirena strings

bebisstacis - Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:33 am

I had Mirena inserted on Monday (now Wednesday) the pain and cramping has subsided, but the strings are hanging outside of my vagina. The IUD is still in the uterus. My cervix is only about an inch from the vaginal opening. The strings are poking me and causing so much discomfort, that I don't know how I'm supposed to go about my daily activities until my appointment to have them trimmed. I'm also worried that with all the irritation there could be skin breakdown and risk of infection. I called my healthcare provider, and the nurse kind of blew me off, but made me an appointment for two days from now. The problem is I can't lay in bed until the appointment. I have to go to work and care for my children. Would this warrant a trip to the urgent care dept. at the clinic to have these trimmed? I can't wait two days. Any suggestions?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Obviously by now you have had this procedure done. I'm sorry you had to be uncomfortable while waiting for an appointment. It is one of those issues where only you can decide what it is worth to you - if paying for an urgent care visit is more important than the discomfort associated with waiting for an appointment. Each person responds differently and some have no irritation whatsoever. Your provider would not know this was going to be such an ordeal for you and it sounds like they did what they could to accommodate you, assuming you could tolerate the wait. Communication with the provider is the only thing I could recommend. Perhaps the message was not clear that you were in such pain but it is also possible the doctor was not available at all until then. That of course would leave you with just the two options - wait or go to urgent care clinic.

|