News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abdominal, low back, and pelvic pain... Any ideas?

grnidvxn - Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi,
I'm 21 years old and for the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing some strange symptoms. Every now and then I have sharp pains in my lower abdomen, usually, but not always, on the left side. My lower back feels dull and achy, and the pain worsens when I bend forward. Also, the most distinct pain I feel is shooting pains in my legs (usually left thigh but occasionally the right leg also). The leg pains don't seem to be triggered by any movement, and do not feel like a muscular pain. They are very hard to describe, my best guess would be a nerve pain... My hips also have the shooting pain sensation, but not very often.
My last two periods have started out with brown blood, which was a new occurance for me. I've taken two pregnancy tests, both were negative. I've had a urinalysis and blood test (for a different problem) and the doctor said everything looked normal there (although I do not know exactly what blood tests were done). I do not believe I have a kidney infection or UTI (had one of those last year, and doesn't feel at all the same). Could you please recommend some possibilities for this pain, or some tests to get to the bottom of it? Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:59 pm

User avatar Hello -

What first comes to mind with the symptoms you describe (other than the brownish mentrual blood, which does sometimes happen and I think is unrelated to the other things), is low back strain or possibly even sciatica. I'm unaware of any specific possible causes, but these things can often be triggered by something so simple that it is often totally forgotten even as the symptoms begin to show up.

Low back pain can often radiate into the lower abdomen, cause a dull lower back ache, and become worsened by leaning or bending forward. Sometimes pains can radiate to the hip as well. When they travel down into the thigh it is often the sciatic nerve that's involved (sciatica).

I'd bring this to the attention of an orthopedist who may be able to resolve it with something as simple as a local steroid injection or perhaps a short course of physical therapy. Meanwhile, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory over-the-counter pain meds would probably help (ibuprofin or naprosyn) if you're not already using them.

I hope this is helpful and that you're feeling fine again soon.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here