News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Stopping Pill Mid Cycle

deanjenn - Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi there. I am currently two weeks late with my period. I have never missed a period and the most I've ever been is three-four days late. I've taken two home pregnancy tests, and they were both negative. The only reason I can think it was missed was due to extreme stress plus I've been taking a lot of stool softeners (I know bad - since stopped) to help loss weight. Now my question is that I started back on my pill on schedule, even though I didn't get my period, but still nothing. I've recently decided to stop the pill a week into it to hopefully induce my period cause I am so extrememly bloated, then just start it again when I normally would - in three weeks. Is this ok to do?

Also, what else would cause a missed period like that for someone who is usually regular?

Thank you in advance
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:47 pm

User avatar Hello,
Missed periods are common and normal in almost all women. It is typically from hormonal fluctuation. The only problem with stopping the pill and restarting is that it may contribute to abnormal cycles (not a problem except that this seems to disturb you) and the risk of pregnancy if you do not take it as prescribed. If you do this, a back up method should be used for sexual intercourse.

The bottom line is nobody is perfect and when it comes to periods it is especially true. Our bodies don't produce a steady, predictable level of hormones at all times, but rather, they continually go up and down. The result can keep us guessing.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here