Question: Stopping Pill Mid Cycle

deanjenn - Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi there. I am currently two weeks late with my period. I have never missed a period and the most I've ever been is three-four days late. I've taken two home pregnancy tests, and they were both negative. The only reason I can think it was missed was due to extreme stress plus I've been taking a lot of stool softeners (I know bad - since stopped) to help loss weight. Now my question is that I started back on my pill on schedule, even though I didn't get my period, but still nothing. I've recently decided to stop the pill a week into it to hopefully induce my period cause I am so extrememly bloated, then just start it again when I normally would - in three weeks. Is this ok to do?

Also, what else would cause a missed period like that for someone who is usually regular?

Thank you in advance
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Missed periods are common and normal in almost all women. It is typically from hormonal fluctuation. The only problem with stopping the pill and restarting is that it may contribute to abnormal cycles (not a problem except that this seems to disturb you) and the risk of pregnancy if you do not take it as prescribed. If you do this, a back up method should be used for sexual intercourse.

The bottom line is nobody is perfect and when it comes to periods it is especially true. Our bodies don't produce a steady, predictable level of hormones at all times, but rather, they continually go up and down. The result can keep us guessing.