Question: PCOS and thinning hair

nickname - Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:19 pm

I Am 27 years old and was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I have noticed in the past year that my hair has not gotten any longer and has thinned. I know thinning hair is a symptom of PCOS but is it possible my hair has stopped growing altogether and what can I do about it? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:34 pm

If you are not being treated for the PCOS I would recommend it. I would be quite confident that this is a hormonal issue for you. If you have not had your other hormone levels checked such as thyroid, it would be worthwhile to do this as well. There are other causes for hair loss so you should have an evaluation by a doctor (dermatologist, endocrinologist, internist, etc.). Sometimes you can treat it with products but if you don't find the underlying cause it is not likely to have the result you desire. Medications can sometimes have this as a side effect as well - sometimes reversible, sometimes not.

|