News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Positive Pregnancy Test - Not Implantation Bleeding?

myaltmailbox - Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Hello Nurse Debbie,

Last month I posted numerous pregnancy tests + all the symptoms, including a missed period (except for what appeared to be implantation bleeding). As it turned out, we weren't pregnant (although we've been trying for several months).

This month, we've received 3 positive pregnancy tests + no pregnancy symptoms (nausea, headaches, breast tenderness, swollen abdomen, nothing!) AND what appears to be a steady normal period (not implantation bleeding, which should last only 3 days). This "period" is on its fourth day with no cramping.

I've scheduled to see a doctor next Monday.

In your opinion, is it more likely that I am pregnant or not pregnant? (God sure is funny ... sometimes.)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
It's good you have a sense of humor.

I'm sorry it took us so long to answer your question. But, there is no set number of days for implantation bleeding and some women feel that they have a nearly normal period with implantation so this alone would not make me decide where to put my money if I were betting on this. By now I'm sure you have a result but barring additional testing and/or ultrasound determination, it would be impossible to say if you are pregnant or not. Each woman responds to pregnancy differently and each pregnancy can be very different in the same woman.

Best wishes.
 myaltmailbox - Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Thank you so much for your response.

I wanted to post a follow-up in case anyone is going through what we are going through. As it turned out, I experienced something called "chemical pregnancy." I am indeed pregnant, but due to lack of proper implantation of the fetus in the womb, the pregnancy goes away. Apparently, this is a very common phenomenon; most people, except those who are actively trying to conceive, never notice they are pregnant, as it comes and goes so quickly.

As of now, we're still trying. This time: positive pregnancy test, positive ymptoms, 1 month, no period, no implantation bleeding, just simply ... pregnant.

To those who are trying: negative PT's mean 'no, you're not pregnant,' as much as you would like to think that you are.

Thank you again for your expert replies!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here