News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Alternatives to epidural?

Mo Mo37 - Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi, I am 5 1/2 months pregnant. Just wondering if anybody could give some thought to some alternatives to getting an epidural. I hate pain. But I don't want to put the baby at major risk with the epidural, and I would hate to be paralized from it. What are some different options? I've heard of a few different drugs- But I don't fully know the deatails.

Any input would be helpful.
Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
Any drug used in your delivery has the potential for problems to either you or the baby. The epidural is actually one of the safest forms of anesthesia for childbirth. If you want to be completely safe from drug complications, consider an unmedicated birth. Prepared childbirth can be very effective and rewarding but the key is "prepared." You won't be successful if you just tell yourself you are going to do it. But, if you take classes in a method such as Lamaze, Bradley or hypnobirthing, and practice faithfully, you can control your pain by understanding the process and working with your body to push the baby out - to allow nature to do its work. You could benefit from a certified nurse midwife who is proficient in this type of delivery. Choosing your health care provider is vital here. A doctor who does not support this will not be a good choice. It is work with your mind and the mind is capable of much more than we realize. At least get hold of some books and read up on the subject. There is also an interesting video called The Business of Being Born, created by Ricki Lake which shows what is possible. She did a home birth and I am not advocating that - but the points it makes about getting back to the basics of giving birth naturally are quite remarkable. In a hospital you have safety backups for problems, but most births are uncomplicated and the hospital environment itself can contribute to the problems. Being educated on this and preparing yourself can allow you to be assertive to get the birth you want.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here