Question: can you get pregnant while on a period

kazza26 - Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:55 am

hi
firstly abit of history
i started my periods at aged 13 and they were regular every 28 days,it would start slow then go heavy then medium then light then stop ,i suffered really bad acne so when i was 18 i discovered a contraception pill called dianette that also worked to help acne so i took this for 5 years up until the age of 23 then i stopped as i want kids.i expected my periods to be a bit wonky at first but its been 3 years now and they are irregular,28 days some months 21 the next...i tend now to get 4 days of brown spottin 2 days of red bleedin the brown spotting again then its stops or sometimes i can get one day of brown 3 of red,,,it just depends,sometimes i think my period has ended coz its just slight spotting and then hours or even a day later its back to bleedin again ,,

i started my period on the 2nd june 2008 and the 8th june it slowed down the red blood had gone and it turned to brown spotting like it does towards the end,on the 9th june it was still spottin mildly and me and my bf had sex while havin sex my period came back on full again,,and then an hour after sex it spotted then stopped completly

is it possible i could of still gotten pregnant ,ive visted some sites on this ,some say no because blood and sperm don't mix,some say yes but its a very low chance,its been a week now since i had sex and i dnt feel any different apart from mild cramps which i think is ovulation

thanks for your help
sorry if this contains to much information
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:42 pm

It is possible to get pregnant while on your period, especially when your periods are erratic in nature. Only time will tell on this, but it is not an issue of blood and sperm not mixing; rather it relates to the hormones that are going on and usually ovulation is suppressed at the time you have your period.

Best of luck to you.
 kazza26 - Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:56 pm

thanks am not pregnant anyways to be honest i didnt think i was my cycle is all over the place

|