Question: Can the Mirena IUD cause nervousness?

cat512 - Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm 38 yrs. old and had the Mirena IUD inserted in Feb. 2007. I had no side effects with it, everything was going fine... In May 2008, for a few days I started feeling nervousness, then in June 2008, for a few days, the same feelings, and also in July 2008, the same thing. It was the same time of the month each time, around the 4th-7th. I went to a psychiatrist, thinking it was anxiety, and when I looked more closely at the exact dates, thought it was odd, and so I researched side effects of the Mirena IUD. In approx. 5% (or more as it states), nervousness is listed as a side effect. So, I had the IUD removed yesterday, and am waiting to see if that was really it, or if I am just getting anxiety now. Have you heard of anybody going through this? My gyno has not heard of it...yet. She isn't saying that it didn't cause it, but she isn't saying it did either. I just think it's ironic that the feelings came the same time of each month...and it was nervousness off and on those days, not a panic attack, just anxiety. I had hormone blood work done, and everything was in the normal range. I don't want to be put on any medicine for any length of time, but will if I continue to feel this way. I was prescribed ativan to take if I feel I need it. So, my question is have you heard of this kind of thing before? Thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:29 pm

User avatar Hello Cat512,

Nervousness is a documented side effect of Minera. It may very well be that the Minera is what was causing the nervousness but nervousness, in itself, is relatively common. It is very reasonable to try seeing if this improves after removal of the IUD. If it does, this would support the causative theory.

|