Question: Bruised vagina

Nia69 - Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi Debbie,

I am a 38 year old female married with 2 kids aged 5 and 3 and half. Five years ago, when I was 7and half months pregnant with our first child my husband and I had intercourse and I after that my vagina would hurt for a couple of days. This had never happened before in the 2 and half years we were together before getting pregnant. My children are born a year and half apart. Ever since then, my vagina has never been the same again. Everytime my husband and I make love my vagina feels bruised and I do not want to have sex with him at for at least 5 days. And if we do, I have tune out the pain but then after that it is excruiciating. I I saw a gynocologist a year and half ago and she put me on Ibuprofen 600mg. The medication helped but after a while I stopped taking them because I am not comfortable taking medication all the time. My main question is what do you call what is happening to me and why is it happening to me? Is it because I had my babies back to back? Or is this a symptom of something bigger that I am not aware of? Is this a common occurrence among women because it is beginning to frustrate my sexual life. I would appreciate your opinion.

Nia69
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:08 pm

I seriously doubt this is lingering from the one traumatic episode. I wonder if you are needing some extra lubrication. When you are a mother, the prolactin hormones are much stronger than estrogen and sometimes the vagina suffers from the hormonal fluctuation almost all women experience at times. Even young women can benefit.

If this does not help there is always the possibility of an infection or vaginismus. The good news is that most conditions that might cause this problem are treatable. I do not think it has anything to do with the spacing of your children.

Best wishes

|