Question: Period won't stop - going on 7 months

djj131 - Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi. I have not had a normal period since I gave birth in March 2007. I started getting periods when my daughter turned 5 months old, and they lasted 2 weeks long then. In Feb 2008, I stopped breastfeeding and got my period at the end of that month. Ever since then, I bleed almost daily. I'll get an actual period with cramps and heavy bleeding on week out of the month. The just anywhere from 2-6 days of no bleeding, then I get a light flow for the rest of the month until my actual period again. This has been for about 7 months now. I saw my gyne on August 1st. I had a pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound - both normal. I had my thyroid checked - normal (I do take levothyroxine for hypothyroidism). They also did bloodwork that showed I am not menopausal, not anemic, but my progesterone level is low. I also have been having a lot of diarrhea, increased facial hair, and difficulty sleeping. I started the pill 3 weeks ago, and still have been bleeding every day. I'm really tired of the bleeding and I'm not sure how long I am supposed to be on the pill before seeing any results. Also, I'd like to have another baby and want to start trying again within the next 4 months. Any ideas of what's going on with me?
Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:17 pm

It definitely sounds like hormonal imbalance and it's probably a good idea to give it several months to be restored before attempting pregnancy. You could also have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and this can be treated with medication. It can also affect fertility so it's a good idea to discuss it with your doctor to see if you are a candidate for medication treatment. It's a good idea to be sure you are in good health, and in a good weight range before conception.

The pill will not be an instant cure but should help get things back on track for you if given enough time. Sometimes you also need to have the specific pill changed to meet your needs so stay in contact with your doctor on this.

Best wishes

|