News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Spotting after sexual intercorse. What could it be?

ash_90 - Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Two nights ago I engaged in sexual intercorse for the first time without using a condom but I am on the pill. I know that it is normal to bleed the first time, however I have since then still been noticing spotting and my period isn't due for a few more weeks. The blood is a bright red unlike my usual menstral color. I have also been experiencing pain in my stomache since the morning after, though I am unsure if that could be related to this or just a coincidence.

I've been told it may be due to an abrasion but I'm also worried it might be something else. Are there any other possibilities that could cause me to be spotting? And if it were an abrasion how long could the spotting last for?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:06 pm

User avatar Hello Ash_90,

I suspect that this is likely due to some abrasions or tearing from trauma during intercourse. If this bleeding does not stop in the next 1-2 days you may want to see your doctor for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here