Question: 13 yr. nipple discharge suddenly dark green

llh1095 - Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:23 pm

I have had discharge from both nipples since my daughter was born (13 years ago), my cousin has had discharge since she was 16 (she is now 27 ). I had MRI's and blood work done and no one had ever found anything unusual (no tumor, prolactin level normal) so I had just learned to deal with the discharge. However, in Jan. of 2006 I became very ill, ( lymph nodes swelling off and on, bones/muscles hurting, extremely fatigued), ill enough to have to leave my job. Once all of this began happening the discharge from my left nipple turned from white to very dark green. Doctors preformed a culture and found no infection. Doctors ordered an MRI and found a small (2mm) pituitary tumor. Blood work was ordered and all hormone levels were normal. Since then I have felt slightly better but never well and it has been over 2 years and still the green discharge in the left breast is there. The only comment I have gotten from doctors' is that it is odd. I cannot help to feel that something is amiss because prior to the discharge turning green I felt great and since it has turned I feel horrible. Can someone tell me if there may possibly be a link between the discharge turning green and how horrible I have felt since then. I am at my wits end and do not want to feel this way for the rest of my life. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, in 2006 when the discharge changed color/illness began they also did a ultrasound of my breast and did not find any abscesses. I can't help to think that if someone could tell me why this discharge changed colors that someone would be able to figure out what is wrong with me. It just seems too coincidental that after 13 years the discharge changes and at the same time I begin to have so many problems/feel so ill.
Thank you so much for any help.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:41 am

User avatar Hi llh1095,
There may be a variety of causes for nipple discharge which are often of a benign nature. One of the causes for example, is a blocked or clogged mammary duct. This can produce different (including green) colors of discharge. Treatment may include warm compresses and the use of NSAID's to decrease inflammation. However, my question for you is have you had an evaluation by a breast specialist? I would certainly encourage you to do so if you have not already.

|