Question: Constantly bleeding right after sex.. only now it's longer!!

Sunflower9136 - Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:20 am

I have been experiencing bleeding after sex. Normally it's just one to two days. First it's bright red.. then it goes brown and normally fades off to pink then goes away. This time.. I had sex 4 days ago and I am STILL bleeding dark red blood. I was wondering what this could possibly be. Sex is very painful. And I have been cramping on and off since our last time. Any advice would be great. I have a terrific gyn but he is on vacation for the next week and I don't really want to go see someone new. Could I get away with waiting til he comes back? Or could this be something serious needing treatment right away? Thanks in advance for all replies.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 pm

I know this is worrisome for you but I think you will be OK to wait for your doctor's return next week.

The most common causes for such bleeding are infection, including sexually transmitted diseases which should be treated, polyps or fibroids (non-cancerous growths) which should be evaluated, and endometritis which is associated with endometriosis which may also respond to treatment. The only time this is life-threatening to the point you could not wait a week for the doctor is if you were hemorrhaging at the rate of about one pad saturated (heavy, full) every hour over several hours.

You definitely want to get an appointment soon after your doctor returns. Let the receptionist know this is not a routine visit but that you have bleeding.

Best wishes to you.

|