Question: Is it safe to get an x-ray of my knee when 6 months pregnant

stephielu - Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:43 pm

I dislocated my patella last weekend when slipping on a wet deck. I went to the ER and received a brace and crutches, which I am using because I can barely walk. At the time, I declined an x-ray because I am 6 months pregnant and the ER doc seemed indifferent as to whether or not it was necessary. I would like to follow up with an orthopedic surgeon to make sure I did not chip the bone, etc, and make sure I am healing properly, but want to get some further opinions as to whether or not it is safe to get an x-ray of my knee while pregnant. I realize they will use a shield on my abdomen but there seems to be a lot of mixed information out there as to whether or not it is safe at all.
Thanks for your help.
Stephanie
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:15 pm

While there is some inherent risk in any imaging procedure for the patient or a fetus, x-rays are generally pretty safe for the fetus, especially if it is being done on an extremity, in which case there is distance and also allows for application of lead sheilding, which should eliminate all reasonable concerns about exposure. Even so, the radiologist doing the x-ray will know best whether the particular study is warranted and the specific level of risk, and won't perform the test if he or she finds it doesn't meet the standards for safety of the fetus. You should be fine having this done, and there is also the barrier provided by the good judgement of the radiologist.

Given the fact that your knee has been injured and will be bearing increasing weight as the pregnancy progresses, I would think this would qualify as a justifiable x-ray. If the radiologist agrees, you should be fine.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|