News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Pregnant - ate salad with blue cheese

suzannelev - Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:24 pm

I am 9 weeks pregnant. I went to a restaurant and ordered a salad that came with blue cheese dressing. I asked for Ranch instead of the blue cheese. However, when it came out, it had the blue cheese crumbles on top. I just took off the crumbles and ate the salad. Now I am nervous about eating it! Should I be concerned about listeria?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:17 pm

User avatar Hello -

I don't think you need to be actively worried about listeria unless you actually develop symptoms, which probably would have happened by now anyway. The immune system tends to attack the responsible microbe very aggressively as a rule, and you only ingested a tiny amount of potentially contaminated bleu cheese crumbs. While it is definitely wise to avoid the soft cheeses (as well as hotdogs, undercooked meats, etc.), especially when pregnant, I think it would be an extremely big coincidence if you did contract listeria from this very limited contact with the food in question.

Hope this helps, and I hope you have a safe and uneventful pregnancy. Congratulations!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here