Question: heavy bleeding after colposcopy directed biopsy

peabody14 - Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:04 am

I had a cervical biopsy performed (I was told nothing about the procedure despite my questions) and I am experiencing heavy bleeding and I had a fever along with a little pain and severe discomfort later that night. I called my doctor and left a message but no one has called me back. I am concerned that there is too much bleeding, what do I do?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:22 am

User avatar Hi peabody14,
I certainly hope that you had a re-evaluation. Any heavy vaginal bleeding, foul odor, or elevated temperature warrants medical treatment. I hope you are doing well now and the results of the diagnostic study was favorable. Best wishes.
 kaylawalkermullinszm - Sat May 02, 2009 2:48 am

My 15 year old daughter recently went to the doctor for two pep smear tests. I was concerned about her well being, due to a situation that caused her to possibly contact a sexually transmitted disease, clamydia. We weren't even aware that she had this particular disease, because she didn't show a single sign of any problems related to this. However, She had two pap smears done by her gyn. They reported her pap as abnormal, and said they found precancerous cells on her cervix. They sceduled her for a Colposcopy. I wasn't familiar with this procedure and asked several questions. I was a little reluctant about a girl so young having such a procedure done, after the nurse explain to me the things they would do. My main concern was that if possible, the doctor would have to take a biopsy of her cervix. I ask what this meant. The nurse said that my daughters doctor would take some tissue from her cervix to use for testing in order to determine if she had dyplasia.
I know I signed the consent form, however, I'm not so sure whether as a mother, I made the correct decision. The nurse explained that my daughter would have very limited cramp (pain) after the procedure and emphasized that the colposcopy wouldn't take too long, and that they would take only a piece of tissue from my daughters cerix for testing. This wasn't the case. They took two so called pieces of tissue from my daughter's cervix for biopsy, along with taking over fifteen minutes to perform the procedure. The doctor stuck serveral different instuments inside my daughter vagina/cervix, as well as, large and small qtips that he stuck inside of some sort of liquid substance that look like plain water. He didn't give her any pain medicine before or after the procedure as well. I watched the entire procedure in horror and screamed when I saw a pocket of blood collected inside her cervix. The tissue he supposedly collected, looked more to me like two punture wounds. Now, My daughter is experiencing real bad pain, that has lasted for two days, she had brownish/red discharge and keeps complaining that she is cold. I am real concerned about her. I don't know what to do, except take her to the ER Hospital if she gets too bad. My mother asked the doctor what to give her for the pain, because he didn't even prescribed her any pain medication. He said to give her Iburprophen. Luckily, She had a pretty recent prescription of IB 600mg for a different problem a while back. I was g;ad. This medication also has a antiimflamatory agent in it too. Especially since my daughter is also experiencing a swollen stomach and having alot of gas. This was suppose to be a better experience than we have encountered. I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion on what's going on with my daughter and a different doctor. I hope she hasn't been damaged beyond repair, due to the complicated and unpredictable procedure.

sincerely concerned

|