Question: brown discharge for over a week after period "ended"

amee - Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:34 pm

I am concerned that I feel like the period I'm having, or maybe it's spotting, just won't end.
I am trying to get pregnant. I have one son who is two and a half. I was on the Lutera birth control tab for two years. I got off the pill five months ago. Since April, this is only my second period. I got my first period 7 weeks post pill, and the second period 12 weeks post pill. This second period started Aug 26, and lasted longer than normal, maybe about 1 and a half weeks of regular bleeding, then it went into the brown, old blood discharge, which I normally only have for 1-2 days afterward, but now have had for over a week. I cleaned out my vagina in the shower hoping it was just in there, but the old blood brown discharge is back the next day. One week ago, my husband and I had sex, and there was some brown discharge then too, since then we haven't had sex, cause we've been waiting for the discharge to leave. I think it's too early to test for pregnancy since my period started Aug 26 and it's only Sep 13 today, and I'm not sure that this would be implantation bleeding since the brown discharge has been going on ever since the period bleeding. I'm not even sure I'm ovulating, I haven't seen the egg white mucus in a long time. Any suggestions for me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:07 pm

Everything you describe falls in the range of normal. While most women ovulate monthly after ceasing the pill, in some it can take a few months for ot to resume. I would not worry but just have regular sexual intercourse without worrying too much about knowing exactly when you ovulate - the old-fashioned way. It is considered normal to take up to about a year to become pregnant even when actively trying.

Good luck

|