News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: brown discharge for over a week after period "ended"

amee - Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:34 pm

I am concerned that I feel like the period I'm having, or maybe it's spotting, just won't end.
I am trying to get pregnant. I have one son who is two and a half. I was on the Lutera birth control tab for two years. I got off the pill five months ago. Since April, this is only my second period. I got my first period 7 weeks post pill, and the second period 12 weeks post pill. This second period started Aug 26, and lasted longer than normal, maybe about 1 and a half weeks of regular bleeding, then it went into the brown, old blood discharge, which I normally only have for 1-2 days afterward, but now have had for over a week. I cleaned out my vagina in the shower hoping it was just in there, but the old blood brown discharge is back the next day. One week ago, my husband and I had sex, and there was some brown discharge then too, since then we haven't had sex, cause we've been waiting for the discharge to leave. I think it's too early to test for pregnancy since my period started Aug 26 and it's only Sep 13 today, and I'm not sure that this would be implantation bleeding since the brown discharge has been going on ever since the period bleeding. I'm not even sure I'm ovulating, I haven't seen the egg white mucus in a long time. Any suggestions for me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:07 pm

User avatar Hello,
Everything you describe falls in the range of normal. While most women ovulate monthly after ceasing the pill, in some it can take a few months for ot to resume. I would not worry but just have regular sexual intercourse without worrying too much about knowing exactly when you ovulate - the old-fashioned way. It is considered normal to take up to about a year to become pregnant even when actively trying.

Good luck

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here