Question: Lost virginity 2 weeks ago and havent stopped bleeding

mstm85 - Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi! I am 21 years old and I lost my virginity 2 weeks ago and I have not stopped bleeding. The day that I lost it I was bleeding very lightly but then it got heavier with each passing day. It is now flowing non-stop and very heavily. I did however stop bleeding a week after I had sex (Sunday) but then I started bleeding again on the following Tuesday. I thought that maybe I was getting my period, which only lasts a week, but I have not stopped bleeding. The blood is watery and not as thick as my usual period blood. I only recently started getting cramps and normal period pains. Could something be wrong? Is it possible that my ovaries were injured and I can now possibly never have kids? Please help me!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:38 pm

It is very unlikely this is a serious problem that would affect your long-term reproductive plans. I suspect it is hormonal and some unusual periods are considered normal for women. You may want to schedule an appointment with a gynecologist to see if you need some hormones to get the period to stop.

There are some disorders that manifest in a prolonged period so you should be evaluated for endometriosis, fibroids, cysts, etc. but the problem may resolve on its own in a couple of months. If not, you should definitely see your doctor to rule out underlying problems.

It is not damage to ovaries as a result of sexual intercourse - I can assure you of that. They are well protected from sexual activity related trauma. If your ovaries are involved it is likely because of hormones that had nothing to do with intercourse.

|