Question: First Abnormal Menstrual Period after Sexual Intercourse

yclia - Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:45 pm

I am 22 years old. For about 4 years now my period has become predictable to say the least. For the first day it is light; the scond day it is very heavy, it stops on the third day; moderate on the fourth; light on the fifth. It comes about every 28days. I have been sexually active from the age of 18. I had been celibate for the last two years and just recently had sexual intercourse. Two days after thid sexaual in encounter, period came; for the first time it was early. i noticed it was abnormal. Although I saw blood when i used the bathroom; my pad was clean. This occurred for about 2 days. It has now been 5 days of my period being heavy. i have been clotting for 4 days with the clots being progressively smaller. i am now on day 6. Also, I always get breast swelling/soreness and premenstrual cramps; all of which did not occur this time around. It was not until Day 5 that I experienced cramps. Should I be concerned that my period was early and has no followed its normal regimen. Should I see a doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:46 pm

I don't think you have cause for alarm yet. It is actually normal for periods to vary in timing, consistency, light/heavy, etc. Women who are totally predictable without the aid of the pill are actually in the minority. If heavy bleeding persists it is wise to have it checked as anemia could result, but it is rarely indicative of anything more serious than hormonal fluctuation and varying amounts of menstrual fluid - with the lining being more thickened at times. Sometimes these can be regulated by taking an oral contraceptive for a time, should this become an ongoing concern.

|