News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Severe uterine cramping with RHT

budda_char - Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi, I am a 31 year old with PCOS and endometriosis. My doctors have been trying for a year now to find a hormone based therapy to help me with my endometriosis and periods. I have struggled with birth control pills, in that when ever I take them (regardless of the estrogen level or the kind of estrogen) I have severe uterine cramping that is NOT menstural cramping. Its similiar to what I imagine as a contraction. I can feel it coming, it peaks and then subsides. I have about 2-3 of these "contractions" an hour. So we switched to progesterone (aygestin) about a month ago, thinking the cramping was due to the estrogen. But I continue to have this cramping. Once I stop, I stop having the uterine cramping but the endometriosis pain returns. My doctors are stumped on what this uterine cramping is. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions for what I can do or what this might be from?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:20 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm sorry you are struggling with both these frustrating conditions. Hormones are something that can affect people differently and this is why it takes some experimentation in hopes of finding the right combination for your unique body. All I can guess is that hormones just cause this response and so won't be the answer for you.

If it were me I might resort to alternative therapies such as massage, reflexology and acupressure. Some people find fresh pineapple helps relieve muscle pain and other nutritional measures include a healthy balanced diet that is high in zinc, calcium and B vitamins, especially vitamin B6 (not overdosing however). You could see an herbalist for other ideas. I believe that western medicine can be supplemented by some of the traditional techniques and eastern practices.

Given the fact your doctor is stumped I don't see how you can go wrong.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here