News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Extreme Fatigue After Two Pregnancies

mmr21 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:20 am

I had two babies about 18 months apart (2004 and 2006) and since then, I have experienced extreme fatigue and other symptoms. At first I thought it was from having two small children, but it never went away, and I was recently diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia after a sleep study and MSLT. I constantly feel like I did the first trimester of both pregnancies - extremely sleepy for no reason, severe fatigue that seems to be worse after physical exertion, mild nausea, and rapid swings in blood sugar if I don't eat something every 2-3 hours. Since the second baby was born I've also experienced joint pain (mostly knees and ankles), burning muscle pain (mostly back, shoulders and neck) and eczema/ dry skin issues that I didn't have previously (not sure if those things are related). My doctor (FP) did some basic blood tests (thyroid, prolactin, b12, rheumatology panel, kidney function, etc.) and didn't find anything. I've also taken steps to reduce stress (yoga, bi-weekly massage therapy,etc.) in case that was causing symptoms, but haven't found much relief (although the massages DO feel great). So my question is...is there some hormonal or other imbalance that could be causing these symptoms? I feel like I never 'got back to normal' after the pregnancies, and perhaps I'm deficient in something, making too much of something, etc. I'm otherwise healthy, physically active, in good shape, 5'6" /127 lbs. I don't use any hormonal contraceptive (I have a copper IUD) in case that's relevant. This may not be a gynecologic issue at all, but I figured I'd start here. Thanks for your help. :)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
I wonder if you might be suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome. Even though you noticed symptoms following the pregnancies, as you suggested, it may not actually be related but just coincidental, or perhaps the thing that brought you to this point in what was dormant before.

Other possibilities would include an endocrine disorder such as hypothyroidism or other glad problem. I would see a doctor for a general physical exam with labwork for thyroid function, iron, etc. Women in your age range are at risk for these conditions - either of which can produce symptoms like you have.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here