News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Any other conditions that cause pregnancy symptoms?

ames82 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:05 pm

I had my period on September 23, It was light and lasted 7 days instead of my typical 3 or 4 days of heavy bleeding, it also had a lot of clots in it, which I've never seen. Within the last two weeks or so I've been having a lot of the classic pregnancy s/s: irritability, fatigue, weakness, back spasms, peeing more, heartburn, and occasional nausea and dizziness. My breasts are tender and really swollen, I have no sex drive and I feel kind of out of it. Also I noticed today that my ab muscles felt kind of tight and sore even though I haven't done any activity out of the norm. My boyfriend and I only had sex a couple of times over the past month, including (not purposely) the day I should have ovulated, we only use withdrawal for protection and he SWEARS that there's no way he got me pregnant because he "knows his body." First Response says there's no bun in the oven, I can't really say for certain that I "feel" pregnant because I never have been before. I haven't missed my period yet but I have some white discharge that I usually get right before it drops, but I just read that the white discharge can be a symptom of pregnancy as well! Ultimately, I'm wondering if anything else could be causing these symptoms and if you can put my mind at rest!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are many other conditions that can mimic pregnancy signs and I couldn't begin to tell you all of them. Hormones can be the main culprit as all women have fluctuations in this area. Even an abnormal seeming period can be quite normal. Menstruation consists of tissue; not just blood and so clots and fibers, even mucus can be normal.

I cannot reassure you that you are not pregnant however. Only a repeat test will give you that peace of mind. As long as you have symptoms you can repeat the test weekly until you are satisfied you are not pregnant and they continue negative.

Meanwhile, talk to your boyfriend about a reliable method of birth control you can both live with since you don't want to go through this kind of stress regularly - that alone can mess up your hormones.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here