News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Breast growth at 25

KatIdaho - Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:39 pm

I am concerned about my breasts growing at the age of 25. When I say this, most react with asking me if I have gained weight. The basic answer is no I have not gained weight.

I am highly concerned about this because I am now reaching the point of growing out of my DDD cup size (36 around). If they keep this up, I'm going to end up having to have a reduction, which I really don't want to happen.

A little history. At 14 I was a C cup, my first child I went to a D, my second child I was some where between a D and a DD. Four years after I gave birth to my daughter I was still between a D and a DD. Then sometime a year and a half I go my breast started growing again. They filled a DD, then went into a DDD, and now are growing out of the DDD. I weigh the same as I did a year after I had my daughter, except that my pants size are a 16 now instead of a 22. I have large hips and so does my mother, the smallest size I would ever be able to wear is a 14 (what I wore as a teenager). My point being I didn't loose weight, but I have lost overall body fat and traded it for muscle. I still have a gut, the only place the weight didn't come off of more than a little bit.

The only thing that I can figure that seems to correlate with a change is that I stopped taking birth control about two years ago. My boyfriend is fixed (shoots blanks). The physician who I will going back to see soon thought of Polycystic Ovary Sydnrome. When he went and consulted the senior physician didn't think this would be the case. Are there other possibilities? What tests could be done just to find out if I have something wrong with my hormones?

In my head I do fit the description. My waist size is not proportional with fat storage on the rest of my body. I have an ever growing amount of facial hair, some chest hair, and just over all fast hair growth. Horrible acne, it is far worse then when I was a teenager and seems to be increasing. What I perceive as a some what debilitating sex drive.

I realize that I come a crossed as over zealous, but I just like to fix things. Growing up I watched my mother who has unresolved problems. In her late thirties she had a partial hysterectomy. She always has had problems with mood swings and has times where she sleeps over 12 hours. When she started having back pain a few years ago. They found that she had cysts on her ovaries. They thought it was possibly causing her pain, so they removed them. I read that Polycystic Ovary Syndrome trends to run in families.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kat
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:37 pm

User avatar Hello,
Large breasts are usually due to increase in the fat content of the breast. The distribution of body fat is regulated by hormones.

Body fat distribution is attributed to many factors like genetic bases, hormones, life style, sex and age. Pregnancy and birth are times of breast growth too.

Male hormones make more fat deposition in the upper trunk, while female hormones makes fat to deposit more in the pelvis and the thigh.

Large breast may not be related to any pathological condition and are not of concern except when they affect the body image and cause psychological problems.

It is also true your symptoms could be related to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome PCOS.

PCOS is a condition in which females may present with excess male hormone (testosterone and androgen) results in obesity, acne, oily skin, or dandruff and excess hair in abnormal areas and hair loss.

The condition can be diagnosed with
Pelvic US
Elevated blood levels of androgens and testosterone

For exclusion of other disorders that may cause similar symptoms you will need to be checked for Prolactin level to rule out hyperprolactinemia and TSH (less likely) to exclude thyroid hypofunction.

I advise you to followup with your doctor and to discuss with him or her all your concern.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here