News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Birth Control and Missing Periods?

mommysgirlren - Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:01 pm

Ii have been on birth control for almost 18 years. However since December 2007 or January 2008 I have not had my period. I did home pregnancy tests, went to the doctor for an exam and a pregnancy test there and they said nothing was wrong and tests were negative. Went a few months later for my annual exam and told them still no period and the doctor said sometimes this happens when your on the pill. I've missed here and there before in 18 years but NEVER this long. I am 33 years old in a steady relationship, I don't have any other health problems that I know of but I have put on a lot of weight in the last year or so. What else can I do? Should I be concerned. My doctor isn't? By the way I'm taking LoOvral 28. Please help if you can.......I don't have health insurance and therefore go to Planned Parenthood. Is that part of my problem?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:51 pm

User avatar Hello,
Planned parenthood is a good option for you and has no association with the absence of periods. Likely this is just your own body and over time our periods can change. It would be good for you to have a pelvic exam if they offer that and you are due for one. There may also be some type of low cost clinic available in your area for a complete physical since other hormones are sometimes involved and disorders of the thyroid or pituitary glands can affect your periods as well. It would be good to be checked for overall health in some type of screening situation. Call your local health department to see if the community offers such services on a sliding fee schedule.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here