News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Amennhorea for 10 years--contemplating pregnancy--what now?

beckymoller - Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:33 pm

I had regular periods all through my teenage years until the age of 18 when I developed what I might call a mild case of anorexia and lost 20 pounds in a space of about 2 months. I am 5 feet 2 inches tall and went from around 120 pounds to about 100 pounds. I lost my period entirely during this time and it has never come back. Now I am 28 years old. I have consistently maintained a weight of between 100-105 pounds since the age of 18 by maintaining an active lifestyle and a healthy diet. I would not consider myself as having an eating disorder now, and I don't have any of the symptoms I had during my struggle (ie hair loss, light-headed, anxiety, constipation).

I now have 2 children. Before conceiving my oldest (3 year old son) I put on weight and finally achieved a menstrual cycle at the weight of 112. I was able to conceeive with the help of Clomid. After my son, when I wanted to get pregnant I again put on weight until I got back to 112, but was teaching aerobics and so had a lower body fat percentage, and thus still did not get my period back. My doctor put me on birth control to give me a cycle, then put me on Clomid and I again was able to conceive.
Now my daughter is 18 months old and I'm beginning to think about getting pregnant again within the next year. I am teaching aerobics and currently weigh 104 pounds. I feel good at this weight and generally fluctuate between 100-104 between babies. I do not look emaciated, rather I look and feel strong and healthy. Do you recommend that I try to put on the weight until I get back around 110-112 again as I did with my past pregnancies, or do you think that when I decide to try to get pregnant again I could just use birth control to get a cycle before trying Clomid again? My main priority is the health of my child--I want my body to be able to give my child everything it needs. However, if I can do that without going through the emotional and physical trauma of packing on an extra 10 pounds, it would be lovely. Please advise me as to what you would recommend is best for me and my future children.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:12 am

User avatar Hello,
It seems to me that it would be worth it if gaining a few pounds could assist you in your goal of pregnancy. It sounds like your active lifestyle would mean that you would be successful in losing any excess weight after pregnancy anyway so what do you have to lose? If this alone doesn't get you ovulating you still may need the assistance of clomid but you would still benefit from having a little more in fat stores for the pregnancy.

Good luck and best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here