Question: Persistant painful white discharge, culture came back normal

aweewa - Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 am

I've been battling what I thought was a yeast infection for over 3 months now. I finally went to the gyno thinking it may be bacterial vaginosis or something else similar, however the doctor looked under the scope and saw nothing. She proceeded to do more work down there to get out to the lab, and preformed a PAP at the same time. When she called me a week later she said that everything came back looking normal. There is no yeast, no sign of infection or diseases. I am still in a LOT of pain though. It is a little red and there is a good amount of white thick discharge. What can I do if the lab results show nothing. Should I just go try another gyno? Its quite expensive for me and appointments are a month out around here. I can't handle the pain much longer. I am irritable every day because it hurts all the time! Thank you for your help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm sorry I don't have any real answer for you but it seems like seeing another gyno would not make a lot of sense with lab work showing negative. Chances are another doctor would run the same tests. Maybe your pain is not related to the discharge. People do have normal discharge at times. Perhaps there are two things going on - maybe one related to your bowel, such as with irritable bowel syndrome or something like that. You may have to do some watchful waiting to see if a pattern emerges over time. Unfortunately sometimes pain has to get worse before the body actually communicates to us what is going on. Meanwhile, try some palliative measures such as acetaminophen, heat pads and rest. If it doesn't resolve and you find no pattern of food intolerance or other, you should follow up with some type of doctor - perhaps an internal medicine specialist.

Best wishes

|