Question: Infected Placenta

dasstorey - Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I have a lot of unanswered questions. I gave birth at 24 weeks and through my whole pregnancy everything was great (seriously). I started spotting one day and went to my doctor. That next day I gave birth. They tested my placenta and found it to be inflammed. They could not find the infection but they say their was one. My questions are due to my husband getting a Hepitatis shot (because of his line of work) could cause intercourse to infect the placenta?

Can a infection be stopped during pregnancy? I have had that question answered twice with two different answers.....
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:35 pm

It is not possible that this was related to your husband's vaccine in any way. It is possible to treat an infection in pregnancy if they know it is there. The problem is, they may not detect it at all. Chances are this would not happen again and was just one of those strange things that happen in life but are unexplained. It may or may not have been the cause of your premature delivery but was probably the only thing evident. There is much we don't know and the majority of stillbirths are unexplained.

bori7 - Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi, I just lost my baby on October 2008, i went in to the hospital because i didnt feel the baby moving. The next thing i know the baby has no heartbeat and im having the baby. The only thing that was explained to me was that my placenta was inflamed which means it was infected or had some type of bacteria but they didnt know what. What we think happened was that my water broke, but it leaked little by little without me noticing. It propably leaked for a week or so, without me noticing, since it was coming out in little amounts. And since there was that opening in the sac for a long time, bacteria got inside and into the placenta which infected it. i don't know if this was your case, but i thought it could help you to find another reason of what it could be. Ask your doctor if it could have been this, maybe it was or maybe not!!!

|